Monday, February 1, 2016

Why so blunt?

Last week (because I'm so good at adhering to schedules) my senior talked to me about my report. He taught me a few pointers, which are really helpful and kind of lame on my part because I was not being careful and doing the job for the job's sake.

What struct me though, is how he started the conversion: "Did you go to college?". And then as the talk went on, we went to various topics about reporting, dropping a few pointers here and there, explaining why simple things such as content formatting is important, and other things. But why the first question? It led me to believe that it was an attack to my ego, or at least that's how I felt it was because of the language barrier, not reading the mood of the conversation. In reality, he's just trying to point out that as a college graduate, I should've known better and did the format correctly from the beginning.

But then he blurted out "see, your ability kind of got worse". Savage.

Another thing is how he explained the importance of what he taught. I think it's my third time being lightly scolded by him, and on all instance he's throwing the word "customer", in the context that wherever I'd be, coughing out results like the one I did would probably lead to confused customers. A really good point, since we're client based. I'm kind of grateful, since most of my work experience I'm just behind the scenes. The couple of times I need to face clients I'm either sleepy in the middle of a meeting, or being blamed in a database discrepancy that I didn't even caused. So getting pointers like these makes me learn more. I should learn more.

My fault? Basically putting everything on the "Conclusion" part. I really should've known better.

No comments:

Post a Comment