Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Segues and Segways.

As I was reading a tutorial regarding iOS application development through storyboards, I came across the word segue, which is the term used by Apple for how the screen transitions when using storyboards. I know the word segue, so there's nothing special about it, until I read the part where it says "(pronounce:seg-way)".

And all this time I thought the Filipino colloquialism came from the self-balancing scooter, because it can "segway" (transition) to the "sidewalk" (a sub-topic). It's not even a colloquialism at all. It's just a case of Taglish (Tagalog-English).

I was dumbfounded. A chunk of my life was a lie. Ignorance ain't blissful after all. The dictionary is a great ally, especially when you don't skip the pronunciation part.

Suddenly having a renewed interest with Segways because of this topic, as well as the rise of self-balancing scooters as of late, I visited their website, and found this on Segway's Company Milestones page:

The Company adopted and trademarked the name Segway®, from the word segue, which means 'to transition smoothly from one state to another'.

That drives down the point so bad I'm embarrassed with myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment