Monday, August 10, 2015

Funny remarks on gaijin during a meeting

A disclaimer: I don't understand Japanese fully...yet.

On our regular meeting last week (Aug. 5), while waiting for the AC to kick, they talked about random things to pass up the heat to. One of the things talked about was how some places like Asakusa had more tourists than ever before. And while they talk about it, they kept using the word "gaijin", which meant foreigner. Like how gaijin people would be walking around Asakusa where one of my seniors's (I think everybody's a senior, since I'm the only young one here. Not so young, but still in my 20s.) parents apparently lives. The next one I'm not really sure if I get it right, but it's either gaijin travelers sell things on a used shop before they go back, or gaijin residents bring big backpacks to buy things on a thrift shop. Then they proceed to talk about gaijin traits while on the trains, like being noisy and inconsiderate and stuff. Like how Joshikosei are as well. 

 The one thing that I find funny in all of this, is how we're just five people in the meeting, two of us are gaijin, and the grass is still green. I don't feel offended, they don't feel like being offensive, and somehow I agree with what they're talking about. It gives a different perspective on gaijin people from a native's point of view. 

To add to the curiosity, last Friday when we had a nomikai (drinking party), the shop's head lady mistook me for an Okinawan. I'm not sure if it's just refusing to believe a gaijin can be among a group of Japanese people, or if I'm starting to integrate with the society. The latter's hard to believe though, with my weak Japanese language skills and whatnot. Searching for "Okinawa people" on Google though, and she has a point.

I can't put a conclusion for all of this. It might take a while, but it's better to keep tabs at my observation.

No comments:

Post a Comment